Tuesday, February 28, 2012

thinking about the vegetable garden --- still winter

Brad did some work at the vegetable garden over the last weekend (Feb. 25 and 26). After a recent snow softened the ground greatly, he was able to pull up the old okra "trees" from last summer. I say trees, because those were the hugest okra plants, and most productive, I have ever seen. Maybe it was because the okra patch was closest to the pile of potash fertilizer that we obtained last year. Another late-winter chore was to spray the asparagus patch with Round-up.

I got a kick out of the fact that Brad decided to get the garden table ready. The wooden legs had completely rotted and the table was fallen on the ground. The porcelain top is as good as ever. Brad had saved treated lumber from the former back staircase (behind the kitchen) and used some of that to make new legs for the table. He also had saved a pallet from the construction effort, so now there is a good workspace available in the garden. Future plans include re-establishing the water line to the garden.



I am posting this report as a distraction. In just a few hours, Nina, Charlie and Evie will arrive. I count this as the official beginning of the wedding festivities. I seem to be losing my voice and I just hope I do not end up sick. I'm taking Vitamin C, gargling with warm salt water, and trying other home remedies.
On his way home from work, Brad picked up his tux and my gown for the wedding. Yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment