Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Kitchen pleasure

Small pleasures keep cropping up. This will continue for a good while, I suspect!  For instance, living with new plumbing fixtures at Hanshill --- well, I'm still not used to that!  The old toilet used to require maintenance at least once each summer; sink faucets were quirky; the shower was a true joy to operate in the clawfoot tub ---- ahh, great memories.

This week's small pleasure that really put a smile on my face is using a brand new oven where I know that the thermostat is accurate and I can count on the temperature. Today I was a co-host for my garden club's monthly meeting/luncheon. I was assigned to make 6 quiches, plus a dessert. So on Monday I put together six pie crusts and refrigerated them. Then Tuesday I assembled the fillings, and baked the pies. Here they are, ready to load into the car this morning. Then we just re-warmed them during the business meeting ---- luckily the person hosting had two ovens.

The flavors, left to right, two of each pie, are broccoli with 4 cheeses (vegetarian), spinach with sausage and mushrooms, and crabmeat/tomato. The hostess made two pies of traditional quiche lorraine, so there was a nice selection. The old range's oven thermostat was terribly inaccurate. This kitchen feels so luxurious! One of many small pleasures!

No comments:

Post a Comment