Wednesday, October 19, 2011

bookcases

Bookcases have been my focus lately. Until bookcases are put into place, I cannot unpack books!
So the first one has been finished. This bookcase stood at the top of the staircase on Arrow Street. Then it was relegated to Daddy's clothes closet at W-C/Wood's Edge. When Mama and Daddy moved to Assisted Living, the bookcase came to the garage at Hanshill. I find that it will work well for us in the house. So Brad gave it a fresh coat of paint, using the color we put in one of the bathrooms during the renovation. It's not white, but a pale gray. So bookcase #1 is now in place, and as you can see I have put it to use!


 I don't plan to have curtains on many of the windows in the house. One exception is in our bedroom on the end wall. I love the fabric and did not want to give it up entirely when we moved here. I am going to shortenthe curtain but for now I just like having the color in the room.

So now, it's on to the second bookcase. This one has been at Hanshill for many years, and certainly as long as I can remember. It sat in the "back bedroom" aka bedroom #3 and had a few books and photographs on it. It is black with an intricate gold painted design on either end. However, it has been faded and dingy and the paint was not very noticeable. So I decided to treat with a wood-preservative type oil and see if that would approve the appearance. The first coat was immediately absorbed by the dry wood. The second coat went on this morning and is looking pretty good. I have it sitting in the upstairs hall, trying to get decent lighting. It will be placed in bedroom #2, the one that shares a wall with the master, when it is ready, so it won't have far to move.

The third and final bookcase is also being worked on. It's a small one we already had. Brad has applied one coat of the pale gray paint but it needs another. So for now it is sitting in the garage. But by the end of the week it should be ready to go and I'll be able to straighten my desk area and get rid of a couple more boxes.
Also I'm including a couple of shots of the front/driveway entrance hall. We hung some pictures over the weekend, so the hall is looking more settled.


No comments:

Post a Comment