Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Harvest has begun

Brad planted the garden late this year, due to issues with getting the garden plowed/tilled. So our crops have just recently begun to ripen, roughly 3 weeks later than normal. Today I got my first big haul, and it was of black-eyed peas. I spent two hours (early morning) picking these, and weeding ------ weeding beets & tomatoes as well as the peas.


I've picked smaller amounts of several items: okra came in first. In fact, the okra got ahead of me so that the first ones I picked were huge, too big to eat (in my opinion) so I just made them into a flower arrangement. We've had a few yellow squash and zucchini, 2 cucumbers, a scant picking of roma beans, and lots of kale. Tomatoes are coming along very slowly --- they seem to be most affected by the drought. We have three lush rows of butterbeans; they sould be ready in a few more days. Sadly, the crows got all the corn seeds so none of it even sprouted --- even with two plantings! and running string about 4-6 inches above ground over top of where the corn was planted. It did no good!
Later today I will process and freeze some of today's bounty. This will be the first day of freezing this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment