Friday, November 11, 2011

natural arrangements

While walking to the mailbox one day, I noticed a small stand of bittersweet near the entry gate. This is the time of year when the bittersweet berries mature. I cut one little piece
 and thought I would search around other parts of the property to see if I could find some more. So Brad and I went on quite a hike last Sunday afternoon, looking for it. We came home with these items instead ---

some wispy grass and a single cattail, which we found in a moist marshy area next to Fawn Creek, all by itself. I want to find some more cattails, as I like them with this particular jug/vase.

Later I talked to Anne and she told me to be grateful that I didn't find more bittersweet. It is quite invasive and kills the things on which it climbs. It's worse than wisteria, and as bad as kudzu! Yikes. So guess I will search other places to find bittersweet for arranging. There is plenty of it around Lynchburg.

Anne brought me some bittersweet, and because of her advice I cut just about all of it that is down by the gate.
Brad wants to to see how many plants we can find on the property to use in arrangements this winter. The one below is half from Hanshill --- the yellow "Japanese bitter oranges" which grow on a  horrible thorny weed in the pastures. Anne found a write-up about this plant online, and somebody actually sells the things. I cannot imagine why anybody would buy them!!!!  The green globes are from a mock orange tree (osage orange) in town. Neither variety is edible, at least by humans. However, both varieties smell wonderful and last a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment