Friday, March 30, 2012

Daffodils galore

The daffodils have just about finished blooming now --- they came in early due to the unusual warm weather. I wanted to take specimens with me to the annual Garden Club of Virginia Daffodil Show, which was held this week. Many of the blooms came out early. For two weeks I stored daffodils in our refrigerator. For this method of preservation to be successful there cannot be any fruits or veggies in the refrigerator, because when maturing they emit a gas that is poisonous to the flowers. We kept a cooler in the kitchen, to which I added new ice each evening, to store our food items for two weeks.

The daffodils took priority for those two weeks. Brad was a good sport about this, but he WAS happy when I was packing to leave on Tuesday night to attend the Daffodil Show in Gloucester, Va.

He got his fridge back!.
 Today I was not feeling like doing housework, so I played around with leftover blooms that returned with me after the Show. Many were/are my blooms, but many are also extras that were collected/gathered for use in the artistic arrangement by my garden club, Hillside. We had a great inventory of flowers to choose from as we created our arrangement. Anyway, here is what I did this afternoon, choosing to "play" rather than do chores ("work.") It is such a beautiful time of year!

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. Brad can give up the beer fridge for this for sure! : < )

    ReplyDelete